The first step on your path to becoming a PADI Professional Diver, the Divemaster Course, is the foundation for your diving career. Working closely with a PADI Instructor, you will expand your dive knowledge and polish your skills to the professional level. PADI Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. PADI Divemaster is the prerequisite certification for both the PADI Assistant Instructor and PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor certifications.
As a Divemaster intern you learn to:
- Lead dives,
- Basic equipment maintenance and repair,
- Operate compressors,
- Assist instructors with other courses.
- Conduct Scuba Review courses,
- Aid in the day-to-day operation of the dive center,
- Be exposed to seamanship skills.
In the academic section (with written exams) you will learn or improve your skills in:
- Dive physics,
- Dive physiology,
- Dive management,
- Decompression theory,
- Dive safety,
- And more…!
To take this course, you must be:
- 18 years old,
- A Rescue Diver,
- Have a current PADI EFR of First Aid/CPR card,
- Have at least 40 dives to begin the course and 60 for certification
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
Equipment You Will Need
After certification, you will be expected to have your own complete set of Scuba gear to work in the industry. During training, we will provide all the equipment you will need, but highly recommend you have at least you own mask, fins, and snorkel. You will find a dive computer to be an essential piece of your personal dive kit, and an absolute must to have while working in the trade after certification. This is often the first piece of equipment our interns obtain.
Course Cost: US $700
Divemaster Crewpak: US $200
Course Duration: Six to Eight Weeks
PADI Registration Fee upon Course Completion: US $81
The PADI Divemaster Crewpak has everything you will need to start the PADI Divemaster Program. The Complete set of material is available at West End Divers and includes:
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving – a comprehensive overview of diving knowledge.
- The Diving Knowledge Workbook – a self-study guide for the Divemaster and Instructor exams.
- Divemaster slates.
- PADI Divemaster Manual.
- CD-ROM with instructor outlines for Divemaster-conducted programs.